Women's Education in Afghanistan_Team B1J

Nearly three years have passed since the Taliban closed the doors of schools to girls from the sixth grade onwards in Afghanistan. In light of this ongoing crisis, we will discuss the following from 1:30 PM to 4:00 PM today.

Description and the time schedule:

1:30 PM -4:00 PM Summary Phase: Please work collaboratively as a team to summarize the top 5 key problems and their best ideas and solutions generated over the past two days. For each question, list the top 5 main issues and then the top 5 solutions:

1. How do you think online technology can be useful as an alternative for girls to gain access to education in Afghanistan?
  2. What key issues do girls in Afghanistan face in accessing the internet and online educational tools?
  3. What solutions do you propose to address and resolve these issues and help girls access the internet and online education in Afghanistan?
1 Like

Hello and good morning to everyone,

This is Firoza from Kabul. I have a bachelor’s degree in computer science and have worked as a web designer and teacher. Additionally, I have led efforts with online education providers for Afghan girls.

I look forward to our discussion today.

1. Reasons Behind Taliban’s Decision to Close Schools for Women

The Taliban closed schools for women because they oppose co-education, where boys and girls study together. They believe this goes against their interpretation of Islamic principles and cultural norms. They plan to reopen schools with separate classes for girls…

1. I think that the reason behind the closure of girls’ schools by the Taliban is that they are not recognized by foreign countries

But still we cannot see any sign of schools being reopened by them

While recognition might play a role, in my opinion, the main reason might be their opposition to co-education based on their cultural and Islamic beliefs. Even with recognition, it’s uncertain if they will reopen schools.

2.The closure of girls’ schools is due to their lack of hijab, because the Taliban are very sensitive about this issue.

Answer No 1: In my opinion ,The Taliban’s decision to close schools for women likely stems from their strict interpretation of Islamic law, which limits women’s roles to domestic duties.

3.A meeting between the elders of Afghanistan, a travel ban on the Taliban, pressure from the international community, and also cutting off aid from other countries to Afghanistan can be the solution to reopening girls’ schools

Absolutely and Also this action could be a political strategy to appease their conservative supporters and isolate Afghanistan from international pressure for change.

Yes, this can also be true and it can helpful

In my opinion, the reason why universities and schools are closed to women is because of religious beliefs, taste and culture. It is also a tool of high pressure for the United Nations to be recognized

I am agree and they are also afraid that women become empowered and become aware of their rights. The Taliban are afraid of informed women

The Taliban do not want women to have financial independence and to have a direct role in the important decisions of their lives. They want women to be subordinate to men and obey their orders until the end of their lives.

Due to question number 2 ; Regarding the decisions of the Taliban leader, it can be said that these decisions are directly related to the politics of the neighboring countries and the consequences of these decisions are rooted in the Taliban’s strict beliefs and view of Islamic Sharia. In addition, cultural norms in some regions consider girls’ education unnecessary or inappropriate. On the other hand, the Taliban claim that the curriculum is related to western countries and creates security risks by expanding the mentality of Afghan women and girls. These are key factors in their decisions about education, especially for girls.

1. Key Issues or Factors Supporting the Taliban’s Decision

Several reasons influenced the Taliban’s decision:

• Cultural and Religious Beliefs: The Taliban follow a strict interpretation of Islamic law, which they believe prohibits mixed gender education

Yes, i think, the Taliban wants to remove this educational curriculum that is currently in Afghanistan and replace it with the Islamic curriculum.

1. . Key Issues or Factors Supporting the Taliban’s Decision
  • Social Norms and Traditions: Many Afghan communities have traditional views on gender roles and education, which the Taliban policies reflect.
  • Security Concerns: The Taliban may claim mixed-gender schools are security risks, though this often serves their broader ideological goals.

The Taliban’s perception of Sharia and Islamic religion is something that this group itself accepts, while other Islamic countries have no problem with the education and work of women and girls.

Absolutely right, weak women means weak society and uneducated women means uneducated society